- Published :
- 5 Sep 2019
Naturopathy vs Conventional Medicine: Understanding Natural Path Consulting
What is a Naturopath?
Naturopathy, by definition, is a system for treatment of disease that avoids drugs and surgery emphasising solely on the use of natural agents and physical means.
John Scheele is considered by many as the original founder of the treatment, however Naturopathy was officially coined by Benedict Lust ,who renamed the philosophy from “Therapeutic Universalism” to Naturopathy in 1901 .
Naturopathy provides a holistic, alternative approach to relieving a range of ailments and the use
of non-organic medicines. So how exactly can seeing a Naturopath help? Naturopaths undergo training at accredited medical colleges to diagnose, prevent, and treat acute to chronic illnesses.
They learn how to restore and establish optimal health by supporting the body’s natural self-healing processes. Their main objectives are to change the unhealthy living habits of people and teach them a healthy and positive lifestyle.
How can they help?
1. Alternative treatment plans. For some of us, the environment of a hospital can be quite distressing. Naturopathy offers alternative treatments plans without that can be carried out at home or on-site.
2. Fewer side effects. As Naturopaths favour safe, natural medicines, the remedies they provide are all-natural and therefore generally have fewer side effects than mainstream prescription drugs.
3. Healthier lifestyle. Naturopaths also provide expert advice on healthy eating plans that promote wellness in the body. Healthy eating plans can assist in preventing and treating disease, illness and other lifestyle-related problems.
4. Helps aid in weight loss. Now this one is for all the figure-conscious out there (which is most of us). Naturopathic doctors incorporate food and diet as part of treatment to alleviate many underlying issues related to poor lifestyle.
5. Sleeping Aid. Naturopaths use herbal medicine for the treatment of insomnia and sleeping disorders without the common side effects associated with sleeping medication.
6. Increased self-awareness. Due to the mindful way of healing that naturopathy offers, patients that undergo treatment become much more aware of unhealthy habits that are stopping their body heal.
7. Paradigm shift. Due to the mindful and self-aware approach of Naturopathy, it is common for patients to have a complete paradigm shift — a new way of thinking and living.