- Published :
- 20 Oct 2019
What Do Naturopaths Do And Why You Need One?
If you are unfamiliar with a naturopath, let me fill you in with a simple definition. Naturopathy is a system for treatment of disease that avoids drugs and surgery emphasizing solely on the use of natural agents and physical means.
The term “Naturopathy” was coined in 1895 by John Scheel. And it was purchased by Benedict Lust one of the founders of naturopathic medicine in the first decade of the 20th century. A philosophy he described as “Therapeutic Universalism.”
It is a kind of healing profession which opposed medical doctors and science-based medicines. So, what does a Naturopathic do? Although controversial and not yet scientifically proven, naturopathic doctors are highly educated. And they are trained in accredited medical colleges to diagnose, prevent, and treat acute to chronic illnesses. They also learn how to restore and establish optimal health by supporting the patients’ self-healing processes. Their main objectives are to change the unhealthy living habits of people and teach them a healthy and positive lifestyle in accordance with the laws of nature with the help of different modalities.
Why do you need one?
Still in doubt? Here’s a shortlist as to why you need to see a naturopathic doctor now.
- Alternative treatment plan. Some of us defer the confinement in the four corners of a hospital and dread the pain of needles. Naturopathy offers a new holistic approach to achieve optimum well-being.
- Less side effects. As Naturopaths oppose science-based meds, the remedies they provide are all-natural and therefore minimize the side effects that a typical prescription drug gives.
- Healthier lifestyle. Naturopaths don’t only treat the body’s ailments. They also educate their patients to take much more interest in their health. Thus, they’re preventing future diseases or for any illness from recurring.
- Helps in weight loss. Now this one is for all the figure-conscious out there. Naturopathic doctors normally incorporate food and diet as medicine to cure the underlying causes of some ailments. A diet prescribed by an ND will not only prevent disease but also hinders you from adding some unnecessary extra pounds.
- Sleeping Aid. Naturopaths use natural herbs as medicine for the treatment of insomnia and sleeping disorders without the usual side effects.
- Increases Self-awareness. Due to the typical way of healing that naturopathy offers, most patients that have undergone treatment become more self-aware of their own unhealthy habits subsequently changing for the better.
- Paradigm shift. This is mostly the fruit of being open-minded to ideas and beliefs that naturopathy has in store — a new way of thinking and living.